Monday, June 18, 2007

My Durango half-marathon is complete

On Friday, June 15th, Brian and I hit the road for Durango so I could finish my Team in Training adventure - the Steamworks Animas Half Marathon. Friday night we attended the group dinner, where they shared that our 60 participants had raised over $110,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It was a really special moment and reminded me why I was there and what I had done for the greater good.

On Saturday morning when opened my hotel room door at 5:55 a.m., these wonderful decorations surprised me.





Bright and happy at 6:30 a.m. That was before it was 90 degrees outside!




The race started on the bridge shown in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." I've never seen it, but apparently they jump off a bridge at some point, and this was that bridge. It had to be the most beautiful race start line ever.



The view off the other side of the bridge.



A beautiful home along the way.



I was doing great for about 10 miles - keeping a 13 1/2 to 14-minute mile. But due to the lack of restrooms along the way (there were actually none), I climbed up into a little brush area to try and use nature's restroom. AFTER I was finished, I sort of slid down the hill, jamming my toes into the front of my shoes and twisting my knee a little. At that point, I just wanted to finish and was closer to 15-minute miles.

But no matter how beautiful the scenery, this was the most beautiful thing of all - only .1 miles left. Sadly I was too excited as the finish approached that I didn't actually take a picture of the finish line.



After some time recovering, Brian and I enjoyed the beautiful river scenery right behind our hotel and did a little wandering through the downtown Durango stores.







I couldn't resist capturing these figurines since Brian has three daschunds. I loved the "welcome to weinerville" sign.



0 comments: