Friday, March 10, 2006

I think today's going to be a good day


I went to the gym after work last night (yeah) and then went to be at about 9:15. I slept all the way through, which hasn't happened really since before I got out here. I feel so refreshed and happy, and I have a beautiful batch of blooming daffodils on my desk. Every March , our client sells them all over town as a fundraiser, so they're making me smile and helping their hospice program.




Tonight I'm going to see "Failure to Launch" with Angela (look for the review tomorrow) and tomorrow I'm getting dressed up to go to the annual advertising awards dinner with most of my office, which should be fun. Our agency did all the invitations, which have actually raised quite a stink around town. They were considered "offensive," but I thought they were very funny as did our entire creative department. So I'm not sure what that says about us. The general premise is set up around the fact that we all consider great pieces of work our "babies." We nurture them, care for them and hope they are sent out to the world the way we created them. So the call for entries said "send us your babies" and they had a picture of a baby wrapped in brown packing tape. Then follow up pieces for the dinner and show had similar images and said "only the best survived." Well people in town decided that they were rude pieces and that we should be ashamed of ourselves. I was shocked because it is an advertising-industry piece. If we don't push the edge with ourselves, how on earth can we do it for our clients? It just didn't make any sense that they were getting so fired up. What's funny is that earlier this week in the "Project Runway" season finale, the winner referred to her collection as "her baby" so it's not limited to just us advertising freaks. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

0 comments: