Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Snow days - epilogue

It's amazing how this weather showed me the best and worst in people. I relied on the kindness of strangers on several occasions. Of course, some of them are no longer strangers because they are neighbors who I now know. The nice people who helped dig me out at the apartment complex. But some, like the nice family on their way to a family ski day, will remain unknown. Or the nice guy at the hotel who helped Brian and I get our car out of the parking lot by pushing the car out of the snow. But then, there are those people who use this time to show their absolute worst side. I had been gone from the apartment for about 24 hours to celebrate new year's. To be safe, Brian and I had stayed at a hotel so we didn't have to drive. When I got back yesterday afternoon, one of my neighbors had dug their car out and piled all of the snow behind and underneath my car. They could have walked an extra 10 feet to put it in the median, but they were too lazy to do that. Instead they literally piled it three feet high behind my car and half way under my car - even lodging it under my tires. But a neighbor loaned me a shovel and another neighbor stayed out there with me for over an hour to dig out. I just couldn't believe that someone would sit there and do that knowing that someone was going to come out and have to deal with that. It just goes to show that some people have no concern for others. However, I'm trying to focus on the many nice people that have helped me over the last few days (and who will be getting cookies as a thank you in return) instead of the one horrible person.

0 comments: